Old race boats are usually retired to storage sheds or stripped of their engines and drives and left as bare hulls and decks in the
corner of boat yards. Today's fans are left with little more than grainy black and white photos or video clips of races held twenty plus years ago.
Until recently, the only things missing were an organization that would recognize their value and venues to display them. We now have both.
The HISTORIC OFFSHORE RACE BOAT ASSOCIATION or HORBA was formed by Charlie McCarthy, a former offshore racer,
owner of banana boat co and now Managing Director of HORBA.
At the very beginning, Charlie turned to his friends and asked them for their help with this idea. The following people, all of whom
have been involved in the sport of offshore racing for many years, agreed to serve on the HORBA Advisory Board:
- Charlie McCarthy - Chairman
- Michael Aronow - Eldest son of Don Aronow, boat builder
- Allan Brown - Racer, boat builder
- Sam James - Racer, boat builder
- Barry Cohen - Racer, boat builder
- Bob Saccenti - Racer, boat builder
- Richie Powers - Racer, boat builder
- Bill Frenz - Racer, poker run promoter
- Steve Curtis - Racer, boat builder
- Stan Pike - Racer
- Stan Fitts - former APBA Offshore Vice President
- Cadillac McDaniel - Racer, boat restorer
- Odell Lewis - Former Keikhaefer / Mercury Racing Head of Lake X and Top Mercury racing driver
- Mike Mantle
Former Board Members
- John Crouse - RIP
- Jim Hauser - Racer, RIP
- Joe Sgro - Racer, boat builder, RIP
- Steve Sirois - Racer, Lake X test driver, RIP
What qualifies a boat for "historical" status?
Any boat (deep V's, cats, tri-hulls, outboards, inboards, sterndrives, surface drives) that has ever raced in the "Offshore Class"
of any sanctioning body, at least 15 years ago or longer, qualifies. If the boat has a real race history, it is in!